The Smithsonian’s Journey Stories comes to Winslow!
Winslow is the grand opening host community for the Arizona Humanities Council’s statewide tour of the Smithsonian’s Journey Stories exhibition. Journey Stories explores the roles that migration, travel, and modes of transportation have played in American society (trailer here). The Old Trails Museum will host Journey Stories at our partner venue, La Posada Hotel, from June 22 through August 4, 2013.
The Old Trails Museum has also developed a local companion exhibit, Journeys to Winslow, as well as Grand Opening and Closing Day events and a Thursday evening speaker series, all taking place at La Posada with the Winslow Harvey Girls as greeters.
Many local community organizations are also hosting programs for Winslow’s tour stop. Click here for a PDF of the Journeys to Winslow Schedule. For the latest updates on all Journeys to Winslow events, check OTM News and “like” OTM on Facebook.
The Old Trails Museum and our community partners will explore Winslow’s diverse migration and transportation history through the following exhibits and programs:
Journey Stories & Journeys to Winslow Exhibit Hours
Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun, 11 am-4 pm; Thurs, 11 am-7 pm ● Guided tours available. Call 928-289-5861 to schedule.
Special Events (free unless noted)
- Journey Stories Grand Opening: Sat. June 22, 3-5 pm ● Smithsonian & local exhibits, NPC Folklore Dancers, Winslow Harvey Girls ● La Posada Hotel
- Just Cruis’n Car Club’s Show-and-Shine & Talent Show: Sat. June 29, 7-10 pm ● Standin’ on the Corner Park/Route 66 Plaza, 928-587-8047
- Winslow Arts Council’s Western Art Show: Sat. July 13, 10 am-4 pm ● Arizona 66 Trading Company, 101 E. Second St, 928-289-1100
- Journeys to Winslow Fly-In & Car Show: Sat. July 27, 9 am-5 pm ● Planes, cars, historical displays, shuttles to La Posada Hotel, $5 pancake breakfast ● Winslow-Lindbergh Regional Airport, 928-289-2434
- Suvoyuki Day: Sat. August 3, 8 am-3 pm ● Archaeological site tours, Hopi Dancers, Hopi artists & demonstrators, corn roasting ● Homolovi State Park, 928-289-4106
- Journey Stories Closing Event: Sun. August 4, 2-4 pm ● Smithsonian & local exhibits, Hopi Dancers, Winslow Harvey Girls ● La Posada Hotel
Ongoing Exhibits & Programs (free unless noted)
- Southwest Native American Journeys Exhibit: Mon-Fri, 10 am-5 pm; Sat, 10 am-3 pm; June 22-August 4 ● Native American demonstrators, 1 pm shuttle to Homolovi II Guided Walking Tours ● Winslow Visitors Center, 523 W. Second St, 928-289-2434
- Outdoor Family Film Series: Saturdays; June 8, June 22, July 6; 8 pm ● Winslow Public Library, 420 W Gilmore St, 928-289-4982
- Brigham City Guided Walking Tours: Saturdays, June 22-August 4, 10 am-4 pm ● Brigham City, 928-289-6719
- Homolovi II Guided Walking Tours: Saturdays, June 22-August 4, 1:15 pm ● $3 ● 1 pm shuttle from Winslow Visitors Center ● Homolovi State Park, 928-289-4106
- Old Trails Museum’s Journeys to Winslow Speaker Series: Thursdays, 7 pm ● La Posada Hotel
- June 27: “Along Old Route 66” by John Craft
- July 11: “The Long Walk of the Navajo People, 1864-1868” by Evangeline Parsons Yazzie
- July 18: “The Harvey Girls of the Southwest” by Ann-Mary Lutzick; Winslow Harvey Girls Trunk Show
- July 25: “Winslow and America’s First Transcontinental Airline Service” by Erik Berg
- August 1: “Japanese American Internment in Arizona” by Karen Leong
The Old Trails Museum would like to thank our community partners for their participation and support: Brigham City Restoration, the City of Winslow Airport Commission, Homolovi State Park, the Just Cruis’n Car Club, the Winslow Arts Council, the Winslow Chamber of Commerce, the Winslow Public Library/Friends of the Library, the Winslow Rotary Club, and Wiseman Aviation.
Journey Stories has been made possible in Winslow by the Arizona Humanities Council. Journey Stories is part of Museum on Main Street, a collaboration between the Smithsonian Institution and State Humanities Councils nationwide. Support for Museum on Main Street has been provided by the United States Congress.